3 packages active dry yeast
1.5 ounces rum
1/2 cup lukewarm milk
1 cup melted butter
6 cups flour
prune filling or cherry jam
(jams w/o added sugar)
1 cup milk, scalded & cooled
oil for deep frying
2 teaspoons salt
powdered sugar for sprinkling
20 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
* * * * * * * * * *
- Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm milk for 5 minutes.
- Sift the flour into the scalded milk gradually.
- Add the yeast mixture, stirring until smooth.
- Let rise for 1/2 hour.
- Beat the salt into the egg yolks; add to flour mixture, mix well.
- Add the sugar and rum. Mix well.
- Knead until the dough no longer sticks to the sides. Gradually knead in the butter.
- Place in a greased bowl, turn to coat and let rise until doubled.
- Punch down and let rise again.
- Cut the dough in half, set one half aside and roll out the second half about 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a 2-inch biscuit cutter cut as many rounds as possible.
- Place a dab of jam or filling on one round, cover jam with another round and seal edges.
- Place the filled paczki on greased sheets, allowing room between each for rising.
- Repeat the process until all the dough is used.
- Let the Pączki rise for about 1 hour or until doubled.
- Pour the oil into deep fryer or deep pan (about 5 inches). Heat the oil until it is about 360 to 370 degrees.
- Deep fry the Pączki in oil for about 3 minutes per side or until golden brown on both sides. Dust with powdered sugar.
***(recipe from the POLISH EASTER TRADITIONS HOMEPAGE)